Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Dirty Poems

No, really, they're about dirt. An ecologist and poet friend of mine wrote about soil and its connection to her soul-- how interchangeable these words are to her-- as if they are the same. This led me to go digging into my own soil for poems I had written that feel ready to shoot up. 

Soma in Darkness

Why doesn't darkness cover me like pitch? 
Why does it feel more clear and bright 
than most luminous things around me? 
A lampshade, a glass vase of island flowers, 
a hovering fish in a bowl--left behind by my daughter--
all alit on my desk by the window for a time. 
These glow in the slant of afternoon,
yet they become obscure 
as the night grows more crystalline. 
My heart beats more sure of itself
as dusky atoms hint at the hidden.
The dark is less suspect in its muffled alibis
than all of the claims each daybreak
has laid upon me.

Yesterday, the fish perished an ignoble death, 
gruesome in the way small fish sicken and die, 
but not before I tried to euthanize it 
in a misguided fashion with
sodium bicarbonate and vodka. 
The passing was a struggle
and not the promised instantaneous and painless.
Promises like the bubbles he often blew--
as a proud Siamese Fighting Fish does--
gathering one after another before they pop,
waiting for a female to drift by, to trap her eggs.
Even while he lived alone and trapped,
menaced by his own reflection,
still he functioned and formed his beaded nests,
instinct driving harder than hope.

The bowl, water, meal worms, medicine,
all are gone now.
A week ago, he was fanning out 
in his red and blue fineness,
sure of his purpose in nomine patris,
but yesterday he was diminished 
to a gray charcoal, muted, gasping. 
I plucked one of the wilting flowers 
out of the witnessing vase, a faded coral lily,
the one he'd have stared and gaped at.
After one scoop, I lay him under a tree, 
and left the silent bloom,
given a new life as proffered gift--
inspired by guilt, perhaps, as flowers often are--
from gracious home decor to memento mori.

His existence on my desk was a fact, 
as is his disintegration, 
as is the now drooping bouquet.
I cannot count on these-- 
and much less on my antique typewriter,
also a gift, iron in its stance
and older than myself-- to be more real 
than this disquiet mind 
that solidifies its knowledge 
and intent from firmament into a fist
that cannot hasten death any more than
it can prevent it in this room 
of the easily identifiable.

The fish is free to lie in the earth, 
the flower caresses it, while I 
somehow manage to walk away from them, 
feet not quite in shoes, shoes not quite on grass. 
I glide above it all, rarefied in an exquisite beam
that knows its own painful brightness. 
This light wants to dazzle me away 
from loamy dampness,
tempting me to look at a sungod in full glory,
only to be singed ashen, or salted and pilloried.
In living, I must insist that my presence here is
stamped, no longer invalid with each independent step. 

I would rather know how
can I descend to the darkness 
which is my heart's desire 
to join them, fish and flower.
Lying down and covering myself
with dirt and bark is the same as 
settling on my desk at night
under its face-down papers,
barely aware of the glistenings of day
that keep me wilting and gasping.
I want to turn away, not from life, but deeper into it, 
curling into its very mouth,
as it rolls me over its tongue, and decides.

                                             -- lb 2011

Water Lily by Alice Pike Barney, 1900


Love Puts Us in the Ground

Transcendence is for the birds.
The sky is their home away
from all homes, all rooted loves.
If you want love always
then trade in your wings
for a spade and a hindrance of earth,

If you want a home forever,
roof it over out of the sun,
stuff and furnish
until you shoulder
it up like Atlas 
with each passing year

If you want beauty
to never leave your skin
or your side
tend to the birds
who perch in a line
along this roof
but you will be left behind
in their perfected launch

Love puts us in the ground,
sets us back on our heels,
back down to earth
to feel the grass between 
our fingers, 
the moss beneath us,
ashen mud and beetles.

Love puts us deep in it. 
There are no lofty heights
without soil, no clouds
without leaves fallen and
clinging to our wet limbs.
A snail knows this well 
as it is caught up in the beak

Only when the leaves, grass, moss 
are dried out, can the wind
whistle through us. 
Until then, we cling, we let go, we grasp, we release.
As it should be. 
So says the frog who 
tongue-snaps and leaps,
and the snake
who coils and sheds.

But make no mistake,
do not be misled:
Love will not lift up, 
will not find you a celestial nest.
Love will not hoist you, me, anyone
to relentless bliss above the rest.
So says I of mean estate,
The Law of Love puts us in the ground
And to it we run.
                                          -- lb 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment