Sunday, September 27, 2015

Empty Nest Poem: The Landlady and the Arborist

Imposing entrance. Photo image USF

The Landlady and the Arborist

I came home from leaving
my younger fair daughter
on the Lone Mountain
atop San Francisco
to the tree outside
my window
thinned

The titled two
had conspired
while I was looking
away at a bridge and
its tangerine promise 
of Gates stretching into 
a future of Tigers and fate

My people and memories
are gathered into papery
swaddled illusions to
unwrap and set up
in another and still
yet another high
perch

This
new rise is smaller
and befitting my heart
that quivers in air and dust
beating at sheafs and scatters
of mottled music and incense
ashes that she left in small traces

All of these were expected upon my return in the last night sighs 
of a drought ridden summer
but not in the darkness did
I foresee an awakening
to patches of sky
staring into my
room

My green canopy
now dissipated had 
swayed to me daily
that night would come
back and slip through the
panes that open to listening
stars and a watchfully setting moon

Bolts of blue tell me all is changed
by the sun now casting its beams
along what was blinded shade
pronouncing a new limned 
after from time traipsed
over and made into
Past

Matters
that no longer
matter are taken up
by the four directions of
careless winds and teasing
rains that failed for months to
pour and to drench and to soothe

The rosy dogwood points curled
brown with no suckle for bees
so now I must spring 
for a room of one's
own above tilting
evergreen
trees

                             -- © 2015 by Gilded Lily Press

Golden Gate Bridge by Night from courtesy commons



No comments:

Post a Comment